Transformation

The reconstruction afforded opportunities for some remodellinf, of which the most striking element ist the unusual dual-level arrangement of the church. This dates back in the early 1960s when the crypt was opened out, and eight small chapels were created in the undervroft.

As part of the reconstruction of the cathedral from 1952 to 1963, the interior of the cathedral was completely redesigned.

The cupola now consists of 84 reinforced concrete segments. The glass-covered opening in the dome has a diameter of 6m (about 19.7 feet).

Redesign of the interior

The interior has been designed in a modern way. The motif of the "New Jerusalem" was picked up and underlined.

An access to the former crypt was created - crashing dome parts had already punched through the floor of the church once in the night of the fire.

The crypt was converted into a church with eight small chapels.

The current upper or main church and lower church are open to each other and connected together by the altar, beeing one altar for lower and upper church.
The opening in the ceiling between lower and upper church has a diameter of 8m (about 26.2 feet).

A broad, dividing staircase leads down from the upper church.

The last burial grounds in the crypt were dissolved and the remains reburied in cemeteries, after many remains had already been transfered to cemeteries during the reconstruction work in 1930.


Drupal theme by Kiwi Themes