St Hedwig’s as Episcopal See

Since the creation of the Diocese of Berlin in 1930, St Hedwig’s has been the principal church of the diocese.

Since 1994, Berlin has also been the centre of an ecclesiastical province in the Roman Catholic Church, its geographical spread encompassing not merely the Diocese of Berlin but also the neighbouring dioceses of Görlitz and Dresden-Meissen. This wider area thus covers much of eastern Germany, extending from offshore islands in the Baltic to the mountains on the border between Germany and the Czech Republic.

On June 8th 2015, Dr. Heiner Koch was appointed tenth Archbishop of Berlin by His Holiness Pope Francis, following Archbishop Dr. Rainer Maria Woelki, who was appointed Archbishop of Cologne.

On September 19th 2015, Dr. Heiner Koch was installed as Archbishop in a Pontifical Mass in St. Hedwig-Cathedral.

 

The diocesis has one Auxiliary Bishop.  That role is presently held by Matthias Heinrich, who succeeded the previous incumbent Wolfgang Weider in 2009.

 

 

 

Links:

 

Erzbischof Dr. Heiner Koch

His Eminence Dr. Heiner Koch

Weihbischof Dr. Mathhias Heinrich

Auxiliary Bishop Dr. Matthias Heinrich

Pictures: Erzbistum Berlin


Drupal theme by Kiwi Themes